Due to the continued and rapid rise in numbers of COVID-19 cases in our community, and in the interest of public health and safety, the Library has returned to curbside and drive-thru services only.
What’s Changing Immediately?
- The patron limit will be reduced to thirty (30) people at the Main Library and ten (10) people at the Eastgate Branch.
- Public computers are no longer accessible in the interest of public health safety.
- Patrons can now pick up remotely printed items from the Library.
- The Library is using a “grab-and-go” model to accommodate in-library visits.
- Keep visits brief – come in, browse collections, and take items home to enjoy.
- Visitors must continue to wear masks and maintain 6-foot social distance guidelines.
- Virtual programming continues.
- We strongly encourage using our Material Pickup Request Form to request materials for drive-thru/curbside pickup.
What Has Changed?
Both Library locations will be closed to all patrons. No curbside or drive-thru appointments needed!
Harnish Main location
Drive-thru services only (including returns)
Phone, Chat, and Drive-Thru Hours
Monday–Thursday: 9 am–9 pm
Friday & Saturday: 9 am–5 pm
Eastgate Branch location
Curbside services only; returns accepted in the book drop.
Phone and Curbside Hours
Monday–Saturday: noon–5 pm
If you have gifts to return for the Giving Tree, you may enter the vestibule at the Main Library to return gifts in the designated bin at the Main Library during drive-thru hours.
How Can I Continue to Use the Library?
We’re always here to help, whether our building doors are open or not!
- Get reference help by calling one of our locations during phone hours, or chat with us using our online service on our website at www.aapld.org. Just click on the “Chat With Us” tab on the right side of the screen.
- Attend a virtual program using our YouTube page or online calendar to find both recorded and live programs perfect for you.
- We’re always open online with our Virtual Library, so you’ll be able to continue to check out or stream ebooks, audiobooks, movies, TV shows, and more from the comfort of your own home.
- We will still offer our massively popular Take-and-Make crafts and kits for all ages, available for drive-thru or curbside pickup. Sign up on our online calendar and check out some pictures on our Instagram page to see the neat things you can make from home.
How Long Until You Open Again?
There is no set date currently for reopening the Library to the public. We take the safety and health of our staff, patrons, and community members very seriously. The Library will continue to monitor the number of COVID-19 cases in our community and follow the guidelines or mandates of the Governor, Illinois Department of Public Health, and McHenry County Health Department, and we will reopen once it is deemed safe to do so.
Closing the Library is not a decision we take lightly. COVID-19 has had an immense impact on our community and our world, and we are committed to making choices to keep our staff, patrons, and community safe and healthy.