Job Opening as of November 15, 2016
Young Adult Librarian
Full time, non-exempt: 37.5 hours/week (includes evening and weekend hours)
Salary: $22.70/hour (DOQ)
The Algonquin Area Public Library seeks an enthusiastic, resourceful, outreach-oriented librarian with strong technology and organizational skills to join an outstanding team serving the Algonquin/Lake in the Hills Area.
Primary responsibilities include providing service to teens and young adults through programming inside and outside of the library, developing and managing the teen collection, collaboration with local high schools and other venues, and managing teen volunteers. This position manages a budget dedicated to teen and young adult services. Additional responsibilities include assisting users with reference, readers’ advisory, and computer needs; providing help with digital collections and devices; and staffing the reference desk.
The Library is designing a new teen area as part of its current expansion and renovation project. The YA Librarian will help craft the purpose and use of that space.
This position is part of the Adult Services department but works in collaboration with the Youth Services department and school liaisons.
- MLS/MLIS from ALA-accredited institution
- Minimum 2 years public library experience, preferably in adult or youth services
- Knowledge of young adult literature and learning needs of young adults
- Knowledge of common computer and software applications, including an ability to create and maintain web content and provide instruction on various library technology
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service and communicate well in both oral and written English
- Excellent interpersonal skills essential
- Experience with school outreach desired
- Experience with SirsiDynix preferred
Please send application, cover letter, and resume to Theresa Therens, Administrative Assistant:
- Via email: firstname.lastname@example.org OR
- Via U.S. mail: Algonquin Area Public Library, 2600 Harnish Drive, Algonquin, IL 60102
No phone calls, please. The Algonquin Area Public Library District is an equal opportunity, equal access employer.